One of the most prominent South America’s winemaking countries in facts and figures.
Geography and Climate
Argentina is the eighth largest country in the world, located in the South America. Climate: from subtropical in the north to humid tropical in the center and temperate in the south. The major wine regions of Argentina are located in the western part of the country among the foothills of the Andes Mountains in the semi-arid desert-like climate with an average annual rainfall 100-300 mm.
Facts and Figures
- The largest wine producer in South America, ranked 5th in the word by volume after Italy, France, Spain and the USA.
- The 8th largest vineyard area in the word the 9th largest exporter, with just over 3% of the word market.
- The vineyard area is about 200,000 hectares.
- Argentina is the country with the highest and most southern vineyards in the word.
- There are about 2,000 wineries in the country, most are open to wine tourism.
- In 2019 consumption of wine in Argentina amounted to 19,5 liters per person (18,9 liters in 2018).
- At the beginning of 2020 there were 94 GIs.
- Percentage of varieties: 58% – red, 24% pink and 18% –white.
- Malbec is their calling card of Argentina, accounting for nearly 90% of a exported value.
- In 2019 the wine sales in Argentina amounted to approximately 8,83 million hectoliters (8,4 million hectoliters in 2018).
- From January to August of 2020, wine have reached 6,21 million hectoliters.
- In 2019 Argentina’s exports in the wine segment exceeded its imports by approximately 788 United States dollars. The total value exported reached nearly 793 million United States dollars, whereas imports totaled less than 5 million dollars.
- On average, every day 287,000 Malbec wines are exported at a rate of 12,000 bottles an hour. These figures represent a growth of 450% (and more than 800% in value) since 2004.
- Denmark and Sweden took up more than 40 percent of the total exports of Argentinian organic wine in that year.
- During 2019 Argentina was in 11th pace (2,2%) among 15 countries providing 93% of word wine exports.
We would like to thank the Embassy of Argentine Republic in Ukraine for its assistance in the preparation of materials and personally Elena Leticia Teresa Mikusinski, the Ambassador.